We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Africa Markets Sustainability Lead
Requisition ID: JR1053739
Location: Ikeja, Lagos
Employment Type: Full time
Reports To: Head of Sustainability – Beer & Africa
Context / Scope
- This role is positioned within the Global sustainability Team; the post holder will provide direction and guidance on sustainability issues for the Africa Markets, plus drive the environment agenda in line with our strategic goals.
- This will be done by establishing ruthless focus on our current ways of working, driving improvements and best practice across the Africa Markets sites. By working closely with the Africa Governance and Utilities teams this person will be expected to build excellent working relationships with representatives, from each of the sites, Supply Chain Directors and Global teams.
- The Africa Markets Sustainability Lead will be accountable for environment performance, regional compliance and alignment with Global Sustainability 2030 strategy across the Africa markets.
This includes, but is not limited to:
- Managing the creation and implementation of Africa Markets environmental roadmaps to deliver the 2030 targets across all pillars (i.e. carbon, energy, water, packaging, waste). Close integration with the Sustainability Program Managers.
- Providing technical direction and strategic support for technical, engineering & sustainability teams to deliver Africa Markets innovation opportunities, research programs and pilot studies to deliver the sustainability strategy.
- Agreeing KPI targets through engagement with the Africa Markets operations sites and global teams to drive required improvements.
- Communicating successes throughout the Africa Markets, plus proactive and responsive escalations for any issues.
- Reporting on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis on progress towards agreed targets, pilots and projects progress both locally and up to the Americas region and globally.
- Africa Markets Sustainability programs, forward looking Advocacy. Establish a work plan with key stakeholders in the different market organization structures (Environmental Manager, Procurement, Supply, Engineering, etc.) that drives the transformation priorities and embeds the improvement programs at a market and site level.
- Managing environment & sustainability engagement & communication through tiered meetings, steering groups and subject matter expert groups across the Africa Markets.
- Taking a lead role in driving the required environmental sustainability culture, including employee education and engagement.
- Active member of the Global Supply sustainability & governance communities.
- Ensuring new projects market level legislative compliance across the Africa Markets through proactive compliance leadership.
- Support Regional Sustainability leads on the market Sustainability Capital Business Planning. Lead the development of a high-level efficiency and CAPEX sustainability roadmap for 2030 across each market. Align the road map and CAPEX plan with each site and maintain continuous updates.
- Share best practices. Identify and share global & market Environmental and Sustainability best practices on Distilleries, Breweries and Packaging sites.
- Customers and consumer insights, benchmark market for all sustainability focus areas (GHG, energy, water, packaging, etc.).
- Leading key initiatives and strategic improvement projects in partnership with sites and key stakeholders.
- Ensure implementation of market/regional sustainability programs to achieve impact reductions at set milestones (targets) across the different environmental focus areas (carbon, water, packaging, regenerative agriculture, circular economy, etc.). Manage key sustainability strategic projects implementations and project management activities where required.
- Support the market on securing the funding and developing the proper business cases.
- This role will have no direct budgetary responsibilities but will influence future spend within the Africa Markets in relation to environmental sustainability.
- Diageo produces brewed products and mainstreams spirits in fifteen operations locations across nine markets in Africa. Production sites in each market manufacture a portfolio of Global and Local brands and thirteen of these production sites are located in water stressed areas. Globally Diageo is an industry leader in terms of spirits production and supplies products across the globe including the nine markets across Africa.
- It is important that the current business reduces its environmental impact, and expands in an environmentally sustainable manner, and the role requires an understanding of what this would mean for these sites, with c.4000 employees.
- The role holder will need to be flexible in approach and build detailed legislative knowledge within the region working with global teams at strategic level.
- As part of the Beer & Africa Markets Sustainability team, the role will work as part of this small team or alone and engage with local site management to influence, guide and support on sustainability issues.
- The role will lead the Africa Markets environmental sustainability tiered reporting, providing clear direction and support across the region.
- The Africa Markets Sustainability Lead will be accountable for delivering required performance and strategic interventions as the lead subject matter expert for the Africa Markets.
Purpose of Role
- The purpose of this role is to develop and drive a sustainable business for the Africa Markets with emphasis on energy, carbon, water, waste, packaging & wider sustainability initiatives. Embedding the correct culture is key to the delivery of the above.
- Develop and agree environmental KPIs at a site and market level aligned with the overall Africa strategy to deliver the 2030 strategic goals & future ambition.
- Responsible for market sustainability targets, development of plans to meet those targets, and oversee their delivery. Report the Africa Markets environmental KPIs and provide insight on performance at a regional and global level. Coordinate Annual Environmental Survey rollout to sites and support external data assurance process.
- Manage a program of environmental initiatives across the Africa Markets to ensure delivery of targets. Support the Beer category and Global Sustainability teams with the development of costed environmental roadmaps
- Engage directly with technical & engineering teams to deliver innovation, R&D and pilot trials across the Africa Markets aligned to 2030 strategy. Analyse technology, resource needs, and market demand, to plan and assess the feasibility of projects in relation to site environmental targets and compliance.
- Support Climate change risk management across the nine Africa markets and the flow of information to the GST Climate Risk Program Manager in two key areas:
- Market climate change risk assessment data collection.
- Integration of climate change risk mitigation & management into the overall risk management systems in each Africa Market.
- Drive engagement for the implementation of best practices in the areas of environmental performance, standards, and capabilities. Promote and raise environmental awareness, at all levels of the impact of emerging environmental issues.
- Ensure policies, standards and procedures for the engineering and technical work, and the purchase of materials or services includes environmental aspects/impacts.
- Communicate the Africa Markets environmental performance internally to staff and externally to stakeholders as appropriate. Lead awareness and engagement activities to progress the Africa environmental agenda.
- Leader of Africa Markets environmental forum driving standardization of approach and sharing of best practice.
- Provide support and expertise to sites on current and upcoming environmental legislation and regulatory changes.
- Ensure engineering budgets, bids, and contracts include full environmental/sustainability impact assessments.
Qualifications and Experience Required
- Graduate with 5 -10 years environmental experience in food or brewing/spirits industry preferred. In-depth knowledge of manufacturing operations, supply chains, engineering. At least 5 years’ experience in a process environment. Has delivered change programs in a production lead environment.
- Must have good understanding of scale & complexity of the business across the Africa Markets
- Excellent project management, program management, communication, and interpretation of complex environmental data and trends.
- Environmental professional – or equivalent professional qualifications preferred.
- Overall, good knowledge of Environmental legislation and standards. Competency in Diageo environmental capability framework for Environmental sustainability, Carbon & Energy, Water and Wastewater, Solid waste and resource use, Specific aspects to air, land, and water, and site biodiversity.
- Competency in environmental capability framework for Sustainable agriculture, Packaging, Logistics, and customer, consumer brand sustainability.
- Fluid in written and verbal English language.
- Great engagement and communication skills, the experience of coaching and influencing a range of stakeholders for success.
- Must have good interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Must be approachable and able to provide clear and concise information.
- Strong facilitation, training and presentation skills.
- Good at networking to establish excellent relationships at all levels.
- A proven track record in managing people and or small teams, projects, and cross-functional team working.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Applications not sent in the required format will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for assessment and Interview.
- Interested candidates are encouraged to apply immediately as due to the urgency of this position applications will be reviewed as received, as such suitable candidates may be shortlisted and interviewed prior to closing date. Only applications sent in the required format will be considered.
Scholarships you may like to Apply:
- Postdoctoral Fellowship on Food Security and the Environment at Stanford University
- Apply for 2022 ANU Tuition Fee MPhil Scholarship for International Students.
- How to Apply for DAAD In-Country/In-Region Programme Sub-Saharan Africa (Masters and PhD Studies) 2022 Scholarship.
- University of Toronto Fung Yiu King Memorial Scholarship Apply for University of Copenhagen PhD Positions 2021-2022 [Paid Positions]
- Apply for Eric Bleumink Fund Masters Scholarship 2021/22 at the University of Groningen
- How to Apply for 2022 DAAD University Summer Courses Scholarships for Foreign Students and Graduates
- William Georgetti Scholarship 2021/2022 for Postgraduate Studies in New Zealand
- Developing Solutions Masters 2022/2023 Scholarships at University of Nottingham
- How to Apply for NITDA |Bridge To MassChallenge Nigeria 2021
- How to Apply for Chevening Scholarships 2022/2023 for Postgraduate Students
- Graduate Entrance Awards at the University of Calgary, Canada 2021
- IIASA Young Scientists Summer Program for Early Career Researchers
Note: Pinnacle Report Is A Nigeria Online Media Platform, That Gives Information Concerning Politics, Jobs, Scholarships, Sports, Relationships, Crime, Health, Entertainment And Lots More.
For more information, kindly drop any question in the comment box below.
Please kindly share through the WHATSAPP, TWITTER, FACEBOOK and LINKEDIN buttons below, you might help someone get a job. Thanks
To get our Jobs Update directly to your Phone, kindly follow us on WhatsApp-https://chat.whatsapp.com/FCmaY9RgOFw0eynyjYvqhz
Or Kindly Join our telegraph Group via this link